Monday, October 8, 2012

Cracked Windshield Disrupts my BeLEAFable Life

Four days into my LEAFable life, I have a cracked windshield. The crack starts in the bottom left corner of the passenger side below the rubber and moves diagonally up to the right about 5 inches. I will return to the dealer tomorrow and insist on a fix. I can't imagine this occurred from a rock, and we'll just have to see.

I goggled Windshield Crack on Leaf and came up with five hits of perceived stress cracks. I surely hope Nissan will repair at no charge. I'm sad.

In the meantime, it was an amazing day. I had to travel 80 miles today. Starting with 91 miles of charge, I came home with 16 miles of charge left. Granted, since I knew my mileage would be high today, I drove in Eco mode. It was a bit sluggish. But, I made my range with no problem and enjoyed the drive. With the exeption of the cracked windshield, I still love my 2012 Nissan Leaf. Except, I have decided to change her name from Suzi. She's reborn as Electra!

I'll update tomorrow once I get back from the dealer. Who wants to take bets on what the dealer says? Please note: I'm within three days of my lease. In Florida, I'm allowed to return anything within the three-day period on a signed a contract....I wonder how this will play out tomorrow. I'll let you know.

-----
I'm back from the dealer. They state that there is a rock impact, and the crack was caused by driving, not by stress. Oh well, c'est la Leaf. Here in Florida, we get free windshield replacement if we have comprehensive coverage on our insurance. So, my windshield folks will replace my windshield with OEM on Friday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thus, Electra charged and now awaits her next outing...

1 comment:

  1. We have a crack in the exact same location although on the driver's side. Exact same orientation and length. It's too low to be a rock-caused crack incurred while driving. We noticed it about a year into our lease.

    I'm sure yours, and ours, is a stress crack. We'll see what happens when we turn ours in this March.

    Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete