Nine inches. By the time Melvin removed Electra's (my 2012 Nissan Leaf) windshield, the crack had grown to nine inches. One tiny ding in the windshield! I could hardly see the ding; it slammed into the windshield just above the rubber in the bottom left corner. The crack creeped its way up diagonally toward the center of the windshield, bugging my left eye's vision. See picture one.
Enter Melvin. What a super guy he was! I totally recommend his services (2Extreme Auto Glass Inc 813 453 1011). Nissan recommended him to me, and my insurance company concurred. I called him on Wednesday, he confirmed an appointment for Friday, and he verified he would get me OEM (original parts from Nissan). On Friday, he called an hour before arrival to tell me he was running late. He then called around arrival time to let me know he was approaching. How professional is that!
Melvin's dad ran an auto shop on Puerto Rico, and everyday after school Melvin would go hang out in the shop. When I pulled Electra out of the garage, his sweet grin exposed his love for cars. After the basic spiel to his many questions about Electra, (yup, about 100 miles, yup I charge her every night, yup it rides like a dream), he got to work. See image below.
First he gently removed the molding and the trip, displaced the rearview mirrow, and detached Electra from her windshield. He then laid out a new piece of glass, and cleaned it with magic cleaners. Next, he pulled out his spidey suction cups and moved the old glass out and the new glass in. See image.
Before he placed the new glass, I got the chance to see inside Electra. I had read mynissanusa.com's Leaf blog to uncover how to turn off the back up beeper. Wow, soldering and recrossing wires are not my idea of a fun time. But when I could see down into Electra's insides, I did wonder if I could sneak in and alter her back up beep. I got the chance to look up into her roof and down her sides as well. Yes, her roots are the same color as her tires. :-) See images.
It took Melvin about thirty minutes. I found him intriguing...a great story, a professional, and the only Floridian I know who works outside without sunglasses. He has a super straw hat, though! When he noticed Electra's solar panel, he grinned again after I explained its function. He then proceeded to tell me of a fella back home whom had a straw hat with solar panels as well. The solar panels gathered energy to drive the fans on the inside of his hat. In Puerto Rico, I'm sure you need a cool hat like that!
Melvin finished up and kindly asked if I could refill his go-cup with ice and water. Gladly, I refreshed his drink. The last thing he mentioned was to let Electra's new window sit for about four hours. If I have any problems, I'm to call him right away.
Thanks Melvin! Electra thanks you! PS I think you should put Electra on your business car instead of that nasty ol gas guzzler! :-)






No comments:
Post a Comment