Friday, October 5, 2012

Deciding the undecidable

Deciding to buy a 2012 Nissan Leaf journeyed me in and out of the American auto industry like a lost child in a candy store. I hadn't owned a vehicle in over twelve years, and the options overwhelmed me. But like a child looking for candy, I knew what I wanted.

Since 2001, my company provided me with a work vehicle and a gas card to go with it. So although my only choice in the matter was the color of the car, I got used to not having to worry about my transportation. I loved not having a car payment, not having an insurance payment, and not having to pay for gas. How could I translate those fabulous non-worries into reality when I actually had to purchase a car of my own?

Thus, my criteria looked like this: Greater than 40 city mpg, total monthly cost less than $500, 4-door hatchback, and if electric, a range of greater than 75. My husband owns a Prius. Immediately, Prius left the list as I think it's silly to have two of the same cars in one family. We are a family of three plus two....occasionally two step-children, whom are adults, visit. Although I didn't have much thought about lease versus own, I knew that if an alternative fuel vehicle made the list, I would lease it. I don't want to own unproven technology.

The only tool I trust for auto research is Consumer Reports. From reading many issues from multiple years, I narrowed my list to Lexus CT Hybrid, Ford Focus Hybrid and Electric, VW Golf TDI, Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, Honda Fit and Electric and the Mitsubishi I-EV. To the car lots I went.

First up was the VW Golf TDI. I have to say that the sales man was fantastic. He featured every bell and whistle, but I just couldn't buy diesel. Period.

Next up, I drove the Honda Fit. I couldn't get out of the piece of junk fast enough. Followed by the Mitushubishi i-EV--who put the VW Rabbit back in circulation?

The Ford Focus followed, and I must say Ford took me by the assumption and shook it right out of me. The car trimmed out nicely, drove smoothly, and Ford's syncing technology surpasses everyone's. Ford wins big points for me also because it didn't take any bail-out money on the Auto Bailout of 2011. It also sponsors my favorite show, _The Amazing Race_.

I followed the Focus with the Volt. Unfortunately, the demo model only had a few miles left on its charge, so the dealer only let me take it for a mile around a closed course. So, my first impresssion faltered, and the console seemed clunky and old-fashioned despite its high-tech look. Chevy can't help but be a Chevy.

The last drive for the day belonged to Lexus. How nice to walk into a premium dealer and work with seasoned professionals! We drove the 200 CT after a surreal experience of key finding, but ultimately I decided the Lexus looked too much like the Focus (or visa versa) and just couldn't justify spending $40000 on a look-alike car.

You'll notice I didn't drive the Leaf that day. I had already driven it two months before when I began thinking that I might need to buy a car. I loved it from the minute I jumped in.

So, I drew some conclusions. Golf=couldn't bring myself to consider a diesel vehicle. Fit=piece of junk. Lexus=overpriced for that particular model. I also discovered that it would be next to impossible to get a Focus EV or a Fit EV in Florida, as the distribution didn't cover my state. So, my shortlist became the Volt, the Leaf, and magically an oddball jumped in, the Mini Cooper Countryman. Although the Countryman didn't fit my 40 MPG City, it was somewhat close. And it was cute and fun to drive.

I spent the next two months making final decisions. And ultimiately I would change the final decision. Many times. My family got a bit worn. My delay circled around exactly when I would need a car. My company kept moving the pick-up date on my company vehicle. Finally, the company confirmed the pick up date, and the pressure was on.

I test drove the Volt, again. I liked it better than before. Now, only women will understand what I mean when I say this, and I apologize to humankind for this comment. Driving a Chevy makes me feel fat. Perhaps because Chevy rhymes with heavy, or because the gear shift console clunks its way into drive, I just don't feel it.

Mini kept screaming my name. I drove the cute little car twice. The dealer tried his hardest, but ultimately it came down to gas. Premium fuel, too. The Mini takes premium (and so does the Volt, by the way). Despite its charming appeal, I couldn't buy it.

Alas, my choices dwindled to the Leaf. I think I always knew from the first time I saw the Leaf at the mall, I knew I'd get it. But I had to think my way through unplugging my life from the gas pump just as much as when I unplugged my life from the house phone and went totally wireless. There will be trade offs, and I wouldn't be able to manage some of them if I didn't have access to another vehicle (my husband's). But I'm ready. Enter My BeLEAFable life.

I had several dealers courting me. Once I knew that the 2013 wouldn't deliver until January, and I couldn't wait any longer, I started the true shopping. I'd email the dealers via Edmunds and AAA buying service. They'd email back, again, and again, and again. I explicitedly stated in my emails not to call. If they called, I deleted their emails and told them I would not do business with them. Those whom respected my wishes got replies back. During this process, Nissan announced it'd buy back two Leafs from Arizona and a class-action suit was filed in California. It didn't deter me. Knowing I'd be leasing a Leaf, I trudged forward.

Finally, I had a sincere offer from a dealer who listened to what I wanted (an SL, not Black), and who would put an offer in writing. I then contacted another dealer and cited the offer along with the VIN number. Mistakingly, and I swear on my Camp Fire Girls honor, I typed in the wrong monthly payment in my email to the second dealer. I accidentally low-balled the monthly by $75. The second dealer responded with $80 less than the original offer. I countered back with $10 more off a month. He replied back, and we sealed the deal. I take delivery of my 2012 Nissan Leaf SL at $235 month, no money down, 24 month lease for 12000 annual miles (total 24,000), with is disposition fee at the end of lease at $305.

I pick up in 6 hours. More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment