As I've posted before, 2012 Nissan Leaf math means that a mile isn't really a mile. Depending on how fast I drive, whether the air conditioner is on, and whether I'm in ECO or Drive mode, I can range from 82 to 106 of total miles. The faster I drive, the smaller my range.
I live 47 Leaf miles to the aiport. This mean that I drive on the interstate, and I might have to use the A/C or the heater, which could decrease my range as well. This week, Electra, my 2012 Leaf, and I had to go to the aiport. My Leaf anxiety clicked in when I arrived at the aiport with 46 range miles left. Range anxiety amped to an all-time high.
Here's why. Even though I had called the Tampa airport to find out what the recharging situation was, I found out I would have to trust someone else to plug in my car, confirm she was charged, and rely on someone to do the job correctly. If "someone" failed me, I'd be stuck at the aiport with a car not charged enough to get home.
I had four options at the Tampa aiport. Option one involved leaving my car unattended in the cell lot where a charger remained unstaffed. Although the charger is free, the rules of the cell phone lot state that someone must remain with the car. So option one was out.
Option two required for parking in the short-term lot. I would have access to the free charger there, too. I would have to plug Electra in and hope that no one unplugged her before she was charged. Since I would be returning late on a Friday night, I was a bit apprenhensive that I could trust no one would unplug before Electra was ready. Granted, there are not a lot of cars lined up to get charged, but it was a risk I didn't want to take.
Option three involved me parking in long-term parking and hijaking my own 110 plug somewhere in the lot. This would take some creative research prior to my departure, and I wasn't sure if I could sneak this maneuver past the Tampa Parking Authority.
Option four pointed me to Valet parking. Although the most expensive ($25 a day vs $17 in long term), the valet would manage Electra's charging. Not only could I pull right up to the curb, valet would park, charge, and return Electra to me upon my arrival. Considering I couldn't take the risk of Electra not fully charging, I chose this option.
It worked beautifully! What was nice? I didn't have to wait to get home to find out if Electra charged or not. While in Boston, I pulled up my Carwings. There, I found Electra was fully charged in plenty of time for my arrival home. And, thus, she was! I returned to her warmed seats and full charge and made it home without a blimp. No need for any anxiety after all.
I'm really starting to love this car.
No comments:
Post a Comment