Friday, June 20, 2014

Will I get a Nissan Leaf 2014?

It's summertime again, and Electra's (my 2012 Nissan Leaf) range is back to triple digits. So last week, I decided to go out for the big drive, and I discovered I was too far from home to get home. What should I do?

I pulled up my Carwings and discovered a Nissan dealer just three miles away! So off we went to charge for an hour to get enough juice to get home. To my delight, the Nissan dealer had one of the super chargers! My goodness, POWER! Within just a few seconds, after watching the embedded video animation at the charging station, I plugged in the super charger. And whoosh, like an ftp transfer, a charge dumped into Electra. Within 40 minutes, she was 80% charged.

While I waited, I had to take a look at the 2014 Leafs. My lease is up in October. I've already had Nissan out to evaluate my car for my end-of-year termination, and I found out that I'm actually within the time range of when I can trade-in my car. But since I looked at Electric Vehicles in 2012, there are a few new options, including the BMW i3, a more interesting Ford Fusion, the RAV4, and a few others. But since I was at Nissan, why not look?

The first question I asked was about the 2015s. When will they be out and will it be timely for a 2014 trade in? So, the answer appears to be, "No." The 2015 Leafs are the last model Nissan rolls out, so I shouldn't expect them before December. Thus, I did discover that really the only change on the 2014 from the 2012 is a bit of a longer range and a better trickle charge option. But it is enough to keep me interested.

I told my sales rep that he has to at least match, if not improve, my deal on my 2012. I put nothing down and pay $250 a month (including taxes) on my two-year lease of 20,000 miles. I think that's a great deal (but you're welcome to tell me that it's not!). When he can match or better that deal, call me and I'll step right into a 2014. This time I want an electric blue Leaf--this silver I have now is so boring.

The sales rep hasn't called yet--so I've started my review of the other options that have appeared on the market. Honestly, I wish Tesla would get its "everyman" car out--the one I can afford--but that's not until 2015 at least. Do you know anything different?

No comments:

Post a Comment